Remove chimney dirt ‘easily’ with £1.25 kitchen staple to avoid dangerous fires

Chimney cleaning is essential in keeping the stove not only clean and efficient but also as safe as possible. 

Unfortunately, many homeowners neglect their chimneys until substances like soot and creosote build up.

Creosote is a health hazard and the substance is known to cause very dangerous fires.

A National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) survey showed that a dirty chimney was the main factor contributing to home heating fires.

Chimney experts at EA Chimney and Roofing claim that by using rock salt, this kitchen staple can “easily dissolve” the buildup of creosote.

They said: “By pouring a bit of salt into your fireplace while you’re using it, you’ll be able to dissolve small amounts of creosote buildups. 

“This phenomenon happens because the salt combines with the water in the burning wood and removes creosote successfully.”

When using salt to remove creosote from a chimney, start by using the right firewood like kiln-dried firewood and arrange the logs accordingly before adding in the salt.

Rock salt can be picked up from Sainsbury’s for just £1.25 or at Tesco for £1.80.

Don’t miss…
Tough burnt-on log burner glass stains dissolve with expert’s effective tip[EXPERT]
Log burner expert shares 4 things to ‘never’ burn – leads to ‘dangerous’ results[INSIGHT]
Stubborn grease from extractor fans disappears in seconds with amazing 99p spray[COMMENT]

Households can also create a rock salt paste if they don’t wish to apply the salt directly to the fire. 

For this paste, they’ll need to get two additional ingredients – some dish soap and water.

First, mix the salt and soap. Next, gradually add the water until you get a creamy texture or consistency. Feel free to add more water or salt to achieve the desired density.

After achieving the ideal paste, go to the chimney and apply it to the bricks on the fireplace using a thick cloth. 

  • Support fearless journalism
  • Read The Daily Express online, advert free
  • Get super-fast page loading

Leave it to rest for about 10 minutes and then remove it once it’s dried using a stiff-bristle brush.

For those who have gone more than a year without cleaning their chimney should contact a professional for a sweep.

Additionally, avoid using salt for metal chimneys since the acid obtained from the solution can rust and even corrode them.

Lastly, it’s essential that you know how to avoid creosote buildup. A good rule of thumb to prevent this buildup is to only use kiln-dried or fire-seasoned firewood.

Source: Read Full Article